Looking for the perfect song to be played during your date with your girlfriend? or finding the right tune to your solitary moment while strolling on a sunset beach with the hopes of finding love? But you don’t have any idea what kind of song you would download and sync to your mp3 player or iPod. Don’t worry, because I have an answer to your problem.
A survey was done by CURVE Magazine, the best-selling lesbian magazine in the United States, in order to compile the 20 Great Lesbian Love Songs. Songs that could make every lesbian “sway, swoon and get romantic”, as what CURVE describes it. I don’t want to keep you waiting so here is the list of great lesbian love songs in no particular order:
1. “I Kissed a Girl” by Jill Sobule – Jill Sobule, is an American singer-songwriter best known for the 1995 single “I Kissed a Girl” from the soundtrack of the 1995 film “Clueless”. It was rumored that Jill Sobule admitted that she was angry about Katy Perry’s use of the song title “I Kissed a Girl”. But whatever is the truth, both songs are great in their own lesbian ways. One of the lines in Jill Sobule’s song is “I kissed a girl. Her lips were sweet. She was just like kissing me. Kissed a girl won’t change the world. But I’m so glad, I kissed a girl!” And yes, I am so glad too that I kissed a girl!
2.“Kiss that Counted” by Catie Curtis – “That this would be the kiss that counted. The one that mattered. My life before me undone. This would be the kiss that counted. The one that shattered my defenses. Bringing me emotion“. I am sure that all of us could relate to this one. Could you still remember the kiss that counted?
3.“A Woman’s Love” by Alix Dobkin – Alix Dobkin is considered to be one of the foremothers of women’s music. This song was written back in the 70′s with a simple folk arrangement. “I realize a woman’s place is my home. And I know that we’ve always been in love. And so it will be for life” is one of the best lines for me in the song.
4. “Drive” by Melissa Ferrick - “Your mouth waters. stretched out on my bed. your fingers are trembling. and your heart is heavy and red. and your head is bent back. and your back is arched. and my hand is under there. holding you up” There is nothing to comment on further. The song gives too much pleasurable images.
5. “Perfect” by Doria Roberts - “Let’s take a picture now. I do not want to forget. The way you look at me when everything is perfect. A perfect memory of when things are so good. And everything has worked out just the way we knew it would”.
6. “Love and Affection” by Joan Armatrading - Joan Armatrading is a British singer, songwriter and guitarist. This hit single propelled her album, Joan Armatrading, into the Top 10 in her major publicity relaunch in 1976. “I am not in love. But I’m open to persuasion. East or West. Where’s the best. For romancing” as the great opening line of the song.
7. “Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover” by Sophie B. Hawkins - Sophie B. Hawkins is an American singer, songwriter, musician and painter. This song is one of her biggest hits. “Damn, I wish I was your lover. I’ll rock you till the daylight comes”, is one of the interesting lines of the song. Do you agree with me?
8. “Bring Me Some Water” by Melissa Etheridge - It is a 1988 Melissa Etheridge Song. ” Somebody bring me some water. Can’t you see I’m burning alive. Can’t you see my baby’s got another lover. I don’t know how I’m gonna survive”, is a line that most of us could relate to especially after a break up. However, is it okay if somebody bring me some juice? instead of water. Can’t you see I am very thirsty of your love. Lol.
9. “If It Isn’t Her” by Ani Difranco - “She says do I know you. I say well, no, not biblically. but I’ve been waiting for you come. and talk to me” is a line in the song that could be a good pick – up line to use don’t you think? We should try this.
10. “Come Over Here” by Sarah Bettens – A good song to play during sexy time. This should be a priority song to sync up. Definitely.
11. “Constant Craving” by k.d. lang – k.d. lang is a Canadian pop and country singer-songwriter. She won both Juno Awards and Grammy awards for her musical performances that include hits such as “Constant Craving” and “Miss Chatelaine”
12. “Sweet Woman” by Cris Williamson
13. “Our Purpose Here” by Ferron - In one of the lines, “We knew we wouldn’t have everything. And time proves it true. I’ve got a flat-top six dressed in steel strings. And I don’t have you“, she perfectly captures the sad reality of life. Nobody has the power to own everything. As the famous line goes, we can’t serve two masters, and in this line, it depicts the confusion of choosing love or other things in life.
14. Sweet Darlin’ Woman” by Meg Christian
15. Forever With Me” by Nedra Johnson
16. “So Lucky” by Lucie Blue Tremblay
17. “She’s So Lovely” by The Butchies - The name itself, The Butchies, is just plainly gay. In of the lines in the song, “She’s a rocker dressed like a killer. she’s got lips like wine not sugar. I’m running running into timing. got a watch it’s stuck in shining. she’s so lovely yeah she’s so lovely yeah”, you just can’t help it but sing especially when you have a crush on somebody or met somebody your type.
18. “Tell Me” by God-Des and She
19. “Crimson and Clover” by Joan Jett - Joan Jett is an American rock guitarist, singer, songwriter, producer and actress. She is the founding member of the “The Runaways” then went solo and then again formed another rock band, named “Joan Jett and the Black Hearts”. In 2010, “The Runaways” band was made into a movie with Kirsten Stewart playing the role Joan Jett.
20. “Power of Two” by Indigo Girls - I couldn’t end this list without the “Power of two” by the Indigo Girls. This song is one of the best from the heart ballad to listen to.
I hope you like it! Now, put those earphones on and be gay!